Thursday, August 13, 2009

Dear Jake,

I thought I would ask the awesome web guru if he knows of a website that can plan a route where you can plug in multiple addresses, and it would plan a route that would guide you to the destinations in order? (So that you're not going back and forth between cities.) I ask because my fiance and I are going to be house-hunting later this week, and it would be awesome if there was a site that could help us plan our route for the day.
Take care!
-Elisebeth


Elisebeth,

Although I don't know of a service that does exactly what you describe, I know of one that is close. I am a huge fan of all things Google, so I must defer to their service they recently added to Google Maps.

Go to http://maps.google.com/

Click 'Get Directions' in the top left corner.



You will be given space for two addresses. Underneath these two blank fields, however, will be a link to 'Add Destination'. You can add as many as needed.



It won't sort out the best route for you automatically, but it will place flags at each stop with routes lined out between each and allow you to easily drag and drop the various addresses, making it easy to quickly determine and map out the best route:




Another nice feature is that Google Maps retains the addresses you enter, so if you delete an address but change your mind and want it back, typing the first few letters is usually enough for Google to suggest the exact address you are looking for.

My example route stretches throughout Utah and Idaho, but the principle and simplicity of Google Maps' route planner is scalable for any sized trip.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

try this one
http://apps.viamente.com/